Thursday, April 3, 2008

"No Lemon Please"

While searching for a health food blog to follow for this blog. I googled such and came up with this result: Eat This. I scan the blog posting and the most recent post caught my eye, "Beware of the Lemon Wedge." Microbiologist Anne LaGrange, from Channel 7 News in North Carolina, did and investigation and found fecal organisms/bacteria from human skin and saliva on 76 lemon slices in 21 restaurants! When you think about it, that lemon wedge has been handled by a lot of people before it gets in your glass, food producers, packages, and chefs. Between contaminated ice cubes and now lemon wedges, there does not seem to be anything safe to drink at restaurants, because, as experts say, even lemons in alcoholic beverages may still contain the bacteria.

This article seemed to be really interesting, or maybe I just like reading about gross stuff. But to be honest, I like having a slice of lemon in my water because it makes the water taste less "plain" for lack of a better word. Will this article change my drinking pattern, probably not, I might think about it more when I order water. However, between plastic bottles, dirty ice, unclean glasses and now lemons, my body has put up with a lot in its 21 years of life and seems to be doing just fine. That and I'm the type of person, if I can not see it - it can not really be there type of person.





No comments: